After his dad’s stroke, Mark has taken on assisting with basic daily errands, and being the “go to” for medical appointments. He has felt overwhelmed and doesn’t know where to turn to find resources for both him and his father. The AAAPP can help – find out how.
Caring for a loved one is an extremely rewarding experience, but can also be a very difficult one without help. See below for some caregiver basics.
Making the decision to transition a loved one into residential care is a difficult one. Luckily, there are resources available to help you ensure you are getting the best care available for your loved one. Several tips below can help:
- Visit http://www.floridahealthfinder.gov/ and click on “facility locator” to see a listing of all facilities in your area, as well as any potential sanctions or fines they have incurred.
- When visiting and touring a facility always ask:
- To see the AHCA inspection report.
- How many residents does each nurse and nurse’s aid care for during each shift?
- What do they do about medical services and special therapies?
- What transportation arrangements for residents are available?
- What special training does the staff have?
- What are the policies regarding deposits, refunds, and bed holds?
- How much advance notice is provided before increasing charges?
- How are personal possessions safeguarded?
- What activities are available? (Ask to see calendar.)
- What are the designated visiting hours, and are exceptions allowed?
- Does the nursing home have a program to limit the use of physical restraints?
Please join us for Caregiver Connect, a program developed in partnership with Pinellas Community Foundation. We’ll be streaming Live over Facebook four times throughout 2019, bringing the best of our community’s resources to caregivers who can’t leave their loved ones at home alone. The virtual events are free for anyone to attend! To follow along, like our Facebook page, and look out for updates in early 2019. Don’t have Facebook or don’t know how to access? Email us today and we’ll send you a guide to get logged in.