Elder Abuse Prevention
Elder abuse refers to intentional or neglectful acts by a caregiver or “trusted” individual that lead to, or may lead to, harm of a vulnerable elder.
Types of Elder Abuse
Elder abuse may be physical, mental, emotional, or sexual. Neglect can be self-neglect or neglect by a caregiver. A caregiver may be a family member, an in-home paid worker, a staff person of a program such as an adult day care center or of a facility such as a nursing home, or another person. Exploitation means that a person in a position of trust knowingly, by deception and intimidation, obtains and uses or tries to obtain and use a vulnerable person’s funds, assets, or property. This includes failure to use the vulnerable person’s income and assets to provide for the necessities required for that person’s care.
- Physical signs may include burns, bruises, cuts, sunken eyes or cheeks, malnutrition, soiled clothing.
- Behavioral signs may include anxiety, agitation, fear, confusion, withdrawal, depression, anger and hesitation to talk openly.
- Abandonment is desertion of a vulnerable older adult by the person responsible for the senior.
Reporting Elder Abuse
Florida Law (Florida Statute 415 Adult Protective Services) requires that ANY person who knows, or has reasonable cause to suspect, that a vulnerable adult has been or is being abused, neglected, or exploited shall immediately report it.
If you or an older adult who you know is being abused, neglected, or exploited, call the Florida Abuse Hotline at:
Abuse Hotline: 1-800-96- ABUSE (22873)
Telephone Device for the Deaf: 1-800-453-5145
For online reporting go to https://reportabuse.dcf.state.fl.us/
ALL CALLS ARE CONFIDENTIAL
Not sure if you need to make an abuse report? Call our Victim Advocate Manager Christina Simonetti at 727-570-9696 x 259
If you would like more information, or you would like to schedule a FREE training/presentation on Elder Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation to your organization, please contact:
Christina Simonetti, Victim Advocate Program Manager & Elder Abuse Outreach Coordinator
9549 Koger Blvd. Gadsden Building, Suite 100
St. Petersburg, FL 33702
Phone: 727-570-9696 x 259
- Community Action Stops Abuse (CASA) found HERE
- The Haven of RCS found HERE
- Sunrise of Pasco County, Inc. found HERE
- Pasco County Salvation Army Domestic Violence Program found HERE
- Florida Department of Elder Affairs website found HERE
- Department of Children and Families website found HERE
- National Center on Elder Abuse found HERE
- National Committee for the Prevention of Elder Abuse found HERE
- Do not Call Registry found HERE
- ADRC Helpline found HERE
Did you know?
Elder Abuse doesn’t always just affect the elder. ..
Click HERE to read about little Horatio, a canine victim now working to prevent Elder Abuse.