The Area Agency on Aging of Pasco Pinellas is committed to the health and well-being of seniors, adults with disabilities, family caregivers and our staff. With the increase in confirmed COVID-19 cases in our region and the declaration of a national emergency, we have created this page to keep you up-to-date on the operations of the Area Agency on Aging Pasco – Pinellas and provide helpful resources and information.
AAAPP Operational Updates
- Beginning Monday, March 23rd, AAAPP offices will be closed to the public and staff will begin working remotely. All critical services will continue to be available by phone.
- Our Helpline and Intake/Screening/Medicaid teams remain open during normal business hours. You can reach us at 1-800-963-5337 or 727-217-8111 for out of area callers.
- Our nutrition providers remain available. Home meal delivery is being completed with six feet of distance to protect the elder receiving the meal and congregate dining has transitioned into drive-through dining services. Drive through meal options are readily available for any older adult 60+. To sign up, call Neighborly (Pinellas residents) at 727-573-9444 or Pasco Senior Services (Pasco residents) at 727-834-3340.
- Our SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) and Senior Victim Advocacy/Elder Abuse teams are available for support and assistance via telephone only. You can reach both programs via the Helpline number above.
- Our case management teams are continuing to coordinate & provide services wherever possible to individuals, but have put in place extra precautions to avoid the spread of the disease.
- Adult day care, senior center programming, and other community sites are largely suspended. Check with the direct provider or municipality for updates on site closures.
- IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR COVID-19 INFO OR RESOURCES: Our Helpline team continues to update this spreadsheet with available resources as they are sent to us. We encourage community members to review and use this listing as a referral source. As capacity at local organizations is constantly changing due to the virus, we cannot verify all of these resources are readily available. However, this listing is a great place to start in your search.
Community Operations and Updates
- Department of Children and Families storefronts, Social Security offices, and many municipal offices are closed or suspended at this time. Many are still offering information and support via telephone – check with the specific provider for details. DCF Economic Self Sufficiency Program Information available in English – Spanish – Haitian Creole.
- Local grocery stores have adjusted their hours so seniors may shop for the first hour prior to the general public. Full information available here.
- Duke Energy has discontinued disconnects of service for nonpayment for Pinellas & Pasco through April 13.
- Potential transportation services for those who need it are available through Find a Ride Florida. PSTA has currently suspended all fees for riders until further notice to assist with social distancing practices.
- The Alzheimer’s Association’s Brain Bus has gone virtual. Flyer with full information available here.
- SNAP/EBT purchases will receive unlimited match in Fresh Access Bucks at participating outlets through April 30th. Visit FreshAccessBucks.com for a map of participating outlets.
Information and resources to keep you and your loved ones safe
CDC – “Clara” COVID-19 Symptom Self Checker: This is a great tool if you believe you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID – 19. Find it here.
How to prevent spreading COVID-19 and what to do if you have symptoms:
Alliance for Aging Research – FAQs for COVID-19 for Older Adults & People with Chronic Health Conditions
- Wash your hands often and cover sneezes and coughs with your elbow.
- Stay home if at all possible. When out, practice social distancing, 6 ft of distance between yourself and others and avoid touching “high touch” surfaces.
- Clean “high touch” areas often. The US Environmental Protection Agency has developed a list of COVID-19 Fighting Products that can be found here.
- If you develop symptoms (fever, dry cough, shortness of breath), call your health care provider – do not go directly into the office. Your provider will work with your County Health Department to determine if you need to be tested for COVID-19.
- If you are looking for local information and support regarding COVID-19, the Department of Health COVID 19 Call Center is available 24/7 at +1 (866) 779 6121 or COVIDemail@example.com
Medicare & COVID – 19:
- Helpful information from Medicare.gov
- Press Release from SHINE regarding COVID-19 & Medicare Fraud
- Medicare covers lab tests (no out-of-pocket costs) and medically necessary hospitalizations due to COVID-19.
- SHINE is readily available to answer your questions over the phone! Contact them at 1-800-963-5337 or 727-217-8111.
Resources for Care Partners of Individuals Living With Dementia:
- Plain Language Information on Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Prevention Tips for Caregivers Video
- Caregiving in a time of Coronavirus: Tips from Emory University Goizueta Alzheimer’s Disease Center
- Alzheimer’s Association offering helpful tips, phone-based support groups, and more
- Florida Dementia Care & Cure Initiative Caregiver Tips
Information regarding Retirement Communities & Independent Living Facilities:
- CDC Guidance for Retirement Communities & Independent Living
- CDC – Preventing the Spread of COVID 19 in REtirement Communities & Independent Living Facilities
Various useful state and national resources:
- Florida Department of Health COVID – 19 Website
- CDC COVID 19 Website
- People at Risk for Serious Illness from COVID-19
- What to Do If You Are Sick with COVID-19
- Information for People at Higher Risk and Special Populations
- Pinellas County Emergency Management COVID 19 Information Page
- Administration of Community Living – COVID-19 Update Page
Entertainment to Take Your Mind Off Covid-19
- Virtual Museum Tours
- Metropolitan Opera Live Stream
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium
- National Zoo Webcams
- Seated full body workouts(SHAPE)
- Need ideas for phone conversations NOT about the virus? Conversation Starters.